The Rotary Club of Charlottetown Literacy Foundation Inc. (Rotary Literacy Foundation) was formed in 2006. The foundation is incorporated under the PEI Companies Act as a non-profit company and is a registered charity under the Canada Revenue Agency.
We are a partnership of:
- Rotary Club of Charlottetown Inc.,
- Province of Prince Edward Island, and
- Prince Edward Island Literacy Alliance.
The Board of Directors includes a representative of the province, the chair of the PEI Literacy Alliance, and members of The Rotary Club of Charlottetown. The Directors ensure that the Foundation meets its mandate:
- Address the literacy needs of persons and families,
- Promote public awareness and foster outreach and access,
- Assist in development and delivery of programs, and
- Raise funds to support literacy work.
Initially, the Foundation provided financial support to worthy organizations to support programs, projects and other initiatives. Although helpful to the recipients, the grants awarded did not have a central focus. In 2013, the Board of Directors made a decision to focus the Foundation’s efforts on development of essential skills: adult literacy in the workplace.